Because mommy said so

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

No really, you can have them back

I have an in home daycare. In the south they call this "keeping kids" which is a saying that I just can't get used to. I've given in to "y'all" and sometimes even hear myself uttering the dreadful southern phrase "might should". As in "Honey, you might should bring the dog in, it looks like it's going to rain." My husband laughs at me every time I use it because he knows how much I hate it. But it gets IN YOUR PORES, this deep south speak. Honestly, after a month or so you feel it start to seep in. Six months and you're immersed in it so deeply you gasp and choke for just one last breath of yankee air. After a year, it's hopeless. You've got it bad and there's no washing it off. This stuff is permanent.
Last week while I was headed to the mall, two high school kids in the car behind me decided to pull a very bold and dangerous stunt, nearly running over pedestrians and street signs. Luckily for those reckless teenagers, I was right there to set them straight as soon as they stepped out of their vehicle about a mile down the road in the Target parking lot. Who knows what sort of life they would have gone on to lead if I hadn't used my mastery of the english language to turn their lives around.
I jogged to the double doors, catching up just as they were entering the store. "Y'all OUGHT NOT drive so selfishly!!" I hollered. In my mind I'm thinking "Ought not?" I have no idea where that came from, but I have a feeling that southern stuff I was telling you about had seeped into the "chewing out stupid people" part of my brain. That's unfortunate, because I used to be rather good at it. But the 'ought not' must have gone in and polluted all the good stuff and snappy comebacks with the politeness of an elderly grandmother.
The two teens offered an apology. "Yes ma'am, we're so sorry. It was our fault, we shouldn't be so careless." Hmm. Now what do you say to that? That's the thing with these southern kids. They can sure raise some hell, but they're awful polite to their elders while doing it. I decided to let them go with a finger wagging and a firm "tsk" (now where did that come from??) satisfied that they had learned their lesson.
So back to the kids that I "keep". One is a pure joy and rays of sunshine. The other is evil incarnate. I have another who is only about 7 months old so I am not sure yet if he's on the side of light or the side of darkness. It's just too early to tell.
Evil Boy has been taught the ways of the southern child. One moment he's slashing my sofa open with the jagged edge of sippy cup that he's slowly sharpened to a point on the netting of his pack-n-play, and the next moment he's batting those big brown eyes at me from the time-out corner. "I sowwy Miss Yeeah, I sowwy!" And every single time I fall for it. I firmly believe that it's a power that southern children are taught from birth. I know this because both of my own children are northerners and I never believe them.
So with that said, I do believe that "keeping kids" is an awful phrase. Come five o'clock if you're not here I will certainly not be keeping them, they will be waiting at the curb. (Evil Boy may even be out there at 4:30) And telling your co worker about the woman who keeps your kids implies that you for some reason no longer want your kids. Or are at least boarding them at a kennel for the week.
Thankfully my other day care mom, the one with the angel child, is a northerner like me. We're both from the same state as a matter of fact, and nearly the same city. How we ended up here must be fate. She is my breath of fresh yankee air, every day reminding me of home. We can talk about rhubarb, sweet corn and teenagers who will yell swear words in your direction when you scold them in the Target parking lot. Ahhh, memories.
Just this morning as we're standing in the doorway reminiscing about October snow, she glances over my shoulder "Uh, Leah? Do you think that you should take that sippy cup away from him?"
"Whoa!" I say as I lunge toward him, "I guess I might should do that!"
Noooooooo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home