Because mommy said so

Saturday, July 07, 2007

One day recently, after dropping off the kids at school, I came back home to pack a bag for dcbaby. It was field day at dd's school and I needed to be back there at 9am. As I am putting dcbaby in the car, a little doggie wanders over to me. "Hi doggie!!! Are you lost?" I asked him. He looked at me with such sad little eyes! I approached him carefully to make sure he was okay with being touched, and finally was able to pick him up and put him in my backyard. (Meanwhile my dog inside was going crazy!)
I called animal control dispatch and asked if they could come pick him up since he has no colllar or tags. They said that they can't pick up until 10am. I told them that I had somewhere to be, and could I please drop him off? The woman puts me on hold, comes back and says sure, then gives me directions. I show up at the shelter but the gates are closed and locked. I call them and cheerfully say "Hello! I called a few minutes ago about a dog that I'd found. I have him here, can you come out and get him?" The woman replies "NO. We DO NOT take drops offs." Excuse me? I just called and someone told me to come drop him off. "Well, I don't know who you talked to because we don't take drop offs and we're not taking him." I was ticked at this point. I was already late for field day and I had just driven to the opposite side of town with this poor dog who didn't like the car ride AT ALL. So I say "Fine, that's okay. I see your animal control truck out here, I'll just put him in it. Thanks!" The woman proceeds to yell at me and then two animal control officers come running out of the building. It's a DOG, not a bomb you freaks. I hadn't even taken the dog out of the car. "YOU CAN'T LEAVE THAT DOG HERE. THAT'S ABANDONMENT. YOU'LL BE ARRESTED!" For what?! Saving you a trip to my house?!
"Abandonment is a serious issue ma'am. Don't you dare leave that dog here." Okay then, I'll go drop him off around the corner. Have a nice day. "YOU CAN'T!! I'M WRITING DOWN YOUR LICENSE PLATE NUMBER RIGHT NOW!" You're going to arrest me for abandoning an abandoned dog? He isn't going to be any more abandoned than he was at my house 30 minutes ago!"I was TOLD that I could bring him here. Here he is. You take him because I am not leaving here with him. I can't take him home, I can't keep him, I already HAVE a dog. What do you want me to do with him?" I ask. "I don't care, but you can't leave him here or anywhere else." HE'S NOT MY DOG!!!! I'M TRYING TO HELP HIM!!! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?? ARGH!!!
At this point, one officer turns to the other and says "It's alright, I've got her license plate number. We know who she is." Then she turns to me and says "If you went to a restaurant before they were open and asked them to make you a sandwich, would you expect them to do it?!" Well yes, if I had called them first and they said they would! I finally left, WITH the dog, ticked off that I had been treated so rudely and that I was now VERY late for field day. I brought him home, kennelled my dog, and put the stray in the back yard. A couple more calls to dispatch, and the nice woman there (not from animal control) told me that she could have someone come pick him up. I told her that it needed to be someone else, not those tow who were yelling at me, because I didn't want to see them anywhere near my house. She said that someone else would be on shift this afternoon and she would have them come pick up.
In the meantime, I carefully introduced my dog (who was leashed) to the stray. They did fine, I unleashed him, and they played together for hours! They were like best buddies! It was the sweetest thing! I even let dd come out there after awhile, and the doggie was so sweet to her, he licked her toes and wagged his tail. She ran around the yard and he trotted along behind her. Awwww! Eventually, the animal control person showed up to get him. She said he's daschund mixed with something. That's what I guessed too, because he was only about 15 pounds and he's got stubby little legs. Anyway, when she came in to the back gate to get him, my dog went nuts. As she left the yard my dog whined and howled like he was sad to see him go!!!
All ended just fine, I was NOT arrested (by doggie police!) but I do plan to file a complaint with the city!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home